The British Ecological Society Annual Meeting #BES2023 will take place in the captivating city of Belfast, Northern Ireland, from December 12th to 15th, 2023.
What is the BES Annual Meeting?
The BES Annual Meeting is Europe’s largest conference dedicated to ecology hosted by the world’s oldest ecological society. Last year, the event draw over 1,500 delegates from more than 50 countries, spanning six continents.
This year’s thematic sessions promise an exciting exploration of ecological frontiers:
- Hot topics in the Anthropocene: Emerging research in fire ecology.
- Living laboratories – The nexus between research and practice.
- Risks and opportunities from novel land uses and seascape changes
- The three-dimensional data revolution in ecology.
- New perspectives on plant-people-pollinator interactions in cities.
- Beyond green and blue: Biodiversity as a health resource.
- Regenerative agriculture – a win-win approach for food security and environmental sustainability?
- Equity in international ecological research.
BioDT at the BES2023
During the BES Annual Meeting, BioDT project partner Jan Dick presents a paper “Connecting People and Nature” co-authored with Simon Rolph, Christopher Andrews, Will Bolton, Dylan Carbone, John Watkins.
The presentation explores the intricate relationship between human health and nature in the digital age, showcasing a case study from the Biodiversity Digital Twin project (BioDT) and her abstract cover the following topic:
"In BioDT we have created a digital twin (DT) linking recreational potential in the Cairngorms National Park, Scotland with the knowledge of where the biodiversity lives. The DT enables locals and tourists to find places to visit that meet their physical and mental needs, highlights the biodiversity they may find there and gives them the opportunity through citizen science technology to enhance the knowledge of land and park managers to manage the interdependencies between humans and nature. The project is empowering society by generating actionable knowledge".
More information about the event and registration available here.